Monday, September 26, 2011

Southern Exposure

Last August, Spanky and I hopped on a plane bound for Cagayan de Oro for his Downhill Biking Competition. I've only been to CDO once, around 3 years ago, when my mom used it as a jumping point for Camiguin. So I never really got the chance to explore the place save for the Limketkai mall.

This time, we got around more, thanks to my good college friend Bleng who's now based there.

She took us along a food trip, spread out across 2 dinners and a lunch, plus a pastel (local delicacy of a soft bun filled with condensed milk) shopping spree at the Vjandep Store.


But the trip, too, was action packed, thanks to the downhill riders, who had their usual share of slips and tumbles. Before their second run in the afternoon, rain poured, making the tracks all the more treacherous. Even the best of the best slid their way towards the finish line. And I'm proud to say that Spanky finished both runs safely.
photo by Aprilphoto by Joey

A day after the race, the bikers and we, their better halves, tried white water rafting. It was exhilarating, to say the least. It felt like we were on a 3-hour rollercoaster ride. I fell off the raft thrice. At one point, our raft capsized, and while underwater, I found myself breathing air. I was puzzled. It turned out that when the raft turns over, a bubble of air is trapped between it and the water; that's why I was able to breathe.photo by Bugsay

All in all, CDO was a fun experience. And really liked where we stayed (Bleng's recommendation): Yumi Pension House along Tomas Saco Street--easily accessible and convenient. The rooms were fairly new with aircon, hot water, and cable TV for P950/night.

4 comments:

  1. parang ang saya mag-rafting! malagay nga sa vahket list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Si Bleng!!! :) I've always wanted to do white water rafting...but the hubby almost drowned when the raft capsized. Probably won't be able to have him do it again. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe, ngayon ko lang 'to nabasa. was momentarily trapped under the raft once when it capsized. siguro i went overboard mga 3-4 times. twas fun!

    ReplyDelete